Nashville is a city in Davidson County in Tennessee.
Nashville is the capital of the state of Tennessee. It is located on the Cumberland River in Davidson County in the north-central part of the state. Nashville is also a major hub for the health care, entertainment and publishing industries. Metropolitan Nashville's population stood at 546,219 as of July 1, 2004, according to United States Census Bureau estimates, making it the second-largest city in Tennessee (below Memphis). The 2004 population of the entire 13-county Nashville metropolitan area was 1,395,879, making it the largest and fastest-growing metropolitan area in the state.
Although Nashville is renowned for being a major music recording center and tourist destination, its largest industry is actually health care. Nashville is home to more than 250 health care companies, including Hospital Corporation of America, the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. As of 2006, the Nashville Healthcare Council estimated the health care industry contributed $18.3 billion a year and 94,000 jobs to the Nashville-area economy.
Other major industries in Nashville include insurance, finance, and publishing (especially religious publishing). The city also hosts headquarters operations for several Protestant denominations, including the United Methodist Church, Southern Baptist Convention, and National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. Middle Tennessee is also noted for its automotive industry. The community of Spring Hill, Tenn., 30 mils south of Nashville, is home to a major complex that manufactures Saturns. In Smyrna, just east of Nashville, Nissan has a major manufacturing facility. In 2005, Nissan USA, announced it is moving its headquarters from Los Angeles to Williamson County, in the Nashville metropolitan area.
According to Expansion Management Magazine, Nashville is "the Hottest City in America for Relocation and Expansion." In June, 2006, Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine ranked Nashville #1 on its list of The 50 Smartest Places to Live in America.
Nashville is the location of the membership headquarters of the largest small business association in America, the National Federation of Independent Business, NFIB.
 City & Official websites
 See also
 Recent Nashville business news
Links to recent headlines via Topix.net
- PremierPoint Solutions Releases White Paper about Cost-effective,...
- PremierPoint Solutions has released a new white paper that examines the kinds of business problems a SharePoint extranet can help an organization overcome and explains a way to make extranet management and use secure, easy and affordable. PremierPoint Solutions has released a new white paper that examines the kinds of business problems a SharePoint extranet can help an organization overcome and explains a way to make extranet management and use secure, easy and affordable.
- Valley Events Leaders Attend Dallas Regional Conference
- Nashville, TN - Kelly, the director of operations at Valley Events, reported that her team's top performers recently attended a prestigious regional conference and identified the positive outcomes of the event. PRLog - Oct. 22, 2014 - NASHVILLE, Tenn.
- Music boss who can't sing a note: Down-to-earth BMI chief Mike...
- It isn't yet two hours since we parted company, but already Michael O'Neill is emailing me music suggestions. Despite not having a musical bone in his body - 'I can't sing a note', he professes - he lives and breathes the industry.
- A.M. Best Assigns Ratings to SilverScript Insurance Company
- A.M. Best has assigned a financial strength rating of A and an issuer credit rating of "a" to SilverScript Insurance Company . The outlook assigned to both ratings is stable.
- RLHC Launches New Upscale Lifestyle Brand, Hotel RL
- Hotel RL is an all new conversion brand by RLHC and is designed for large urban markets. Here's what you need to know.
- Steps to Successful Strategic Planning
- At the LMA Southeastern Chapter conference in Nashville, Tennessee panelists shared best practices for strategic planning in law firms. While everyone agrees it's critical for law firms to have a strategic plan, one panelist - the managing partner of a mid-size law firm - advises not to bother "creating one more nice notebook to put on the shelf" unless the firm can say yes to the four Cs: Is there a COMMITMENT to the process? Are key stakeholders willing to forgo immediate billable work to focus on the process? To do it right takes time and a lot more than two people at the top driving the process.
- Top of the List: HMOs
- What are the largest HMOs in Tennessee? We ranked HMOs serving Tennesseans by enrollment in Tennessee as of Jan. 1, 2014.
- PPG Holds Commercial Truck Shop Conference
- PPG Industries' commercial coatings group held its semiannual Commercial Truck Shop Conference Sept. 21-23 in conjunction with the 2014 fall PPG MVP Business Solutions Conference at the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Conference Center in Nashville, Tennessee.
 See also
- Better Business Bureau of Middle Tennessee
- Metro Nashville Library
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce Small Business Council: The Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce's Small Business Council champions the growth and development of small business by providing education resources, advocating for small business in the region, and fostering business development through relationships and networking.
- Metro Nashville government's "Minority and Small Business Resource site"
- Music City 50: The Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and the Chamber created The Music City Future 50 program 1992 as a way to identify and recognize the 50 fastest-growing small businesses in the Nashville area.
- Nashville Business Journal
- SCORE, Nashville office: See: SCORE
- Small Business Administration, Nashville office See: Small Business Administration
- Tennessee Minority Suppliers Development Council